Intermittent Fasting: What is it and twelve effective tips to do it?Sanjoy
Are you curious about intermittent fasting? How do you get started and what are all the rules. Today I’m going to discuss exactly what you need to do. Also, intermittent fasting is the most efficient way to lose weight.
So, last week I reviewed the pillars of the book written by Dr. Jason Fung in order to make intermittent fasting work. Consequently, the culprit is elevated circulating insulin levels. All foods increased insulin to some extent. Yes! Even protein and fat. Hence, if we want to achieve weight loss, we need to figure out how to suppress those influences in our bodies for prolonged periods of time. We have to do that frequently meaning intermittently.
16-8 Intermittent Fasting:
Well, there are several versions. The easiest to start with and perhaps the most popular version is a 16-8 schedule. Select a 16-hour window of time where you will fast and the remaining 8 hours will be your eating window.
For example, if you stop eating at about 8 p.m. at night you’ll be fasting all the way until 8 a.m. the next day. Additionally, 4 more hours of fast. So, you’ll break your fast at noon. Honestly, we all fast when we sleep. All you have to do is, just add 4 more hours. Then you’ll be able to eat from 12 to 8 p.m.
But, of course, you can choose any 16-hour timeframe that works best for your schedule and for your lifestyle. Now the longer that you’ve been overweight the longer this regimen will take to down-regulate your insulin levels. Especially for people who are diabetics, pre-diabetic, or suffer from something called polycystic ovarian syndrome or PCOS.
Moreover, there are two other more stringent versions of intermittent fasting. These are often used for those patients who want to speed it up. However, it’s going to take a longer fasting time period in order for you to achieve it. So, one option is the 24-hour fast. Hence, you’ll skip two meals.
So, let’s say tonight you’ll eat at 7 p.m. You’ll eat your dinner and then tomorrow you’ll skip breakfast and you’ll skip lunch. But, then you’ll have dinner again that evening.
Thirdly, a 36-hour fast where you will skip three meals. So, that means tonight you’ll eat at 7 p.m., and then tomorrow you’ll skip breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But, then eat breakfast the following day. However, we cannot refer to this strategy as intermittent fasting. This is an upgraded and better version of intermittent fasting.
In the same vein, for the 24 and 36 hours fast, you can consider doing it about 2 or 3 times a week and not every day. As a result, you may get to a point where you lose enough weight. After that, you can actually back off and do a 16-8 every day or on most days of the week.
Similarly, for the long-term, we can even get to a point where we do the 16-8 maybe every other day or several times a week. And, keep that up long term. Now during that fasting period, you can have coffee, tea, water, or sparkling water.
You just need to avoid putting anything in there. So, that includes things like sugar honey, the sweetened creamers, or milk. However, you can put some minute amount of high-fat creamer in there if you must. But, it’s best to go even without that.
Also Read: Diet Plan to Maintain Daily Calorie Intake
Eating Pattern between Intermittent Fasting?
Now, during the eight-hour eating period, you can continue to eat how you normally would during those eight hours. However, to improve your overall health and increase your weight loss efforts, even more, you can try to follow these tips as much as possible.
Do’s and Don’ts:
- Firstly, do not overeat during these eight hours. Because that may lighten all of your efforts.
- Secondly, during the daytime avoid snacking in between meals. So, you can have your lunch and you can have your dinner. So, don’t snack in between.
- Thirdly, avoid processed foods and refined sugars. Things like bread potatoes, pasta, rice, sweets, etc, and opt for carbohydrates with a lower insulin index level. That’s a new term that you may not have heard which means those that don’t stimulate insulin release as much as white carbs do.
- No juice, even if it’s natural. No soda, no drinks with any carbohydrates at all.
- Most importantly, read the food labels of the liquids to make sure.
- Likewise, artificial sweeteners. They actually stimulate insulin just as much. Avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup and sucrose. These sugars are exceptionally fattening.
- Also, increased consumption of natural unprocessed fat stimulates insulin release the least out of the three main dietary components. That is to say, proteins, carbs, and fat. In other words, opt for things like avocados, full-fat dairy, or nuts.
- Use extra virgin olive oil or butter for cooking and nothing else. Avoid refined oils. For instance, trans-fats canola oil, corn oil, and vegetable oil except for olive oil.
- Avoid processed lunch.
- Meats like sausage, bacon, or pepperoni increase your fiber. It reduces the risk of diabetes and controls blood glucose levels in diabetics.
- Opt for carbs that contain high fiber. For example, fruits and veggies.
- No more than two alcoholic drinks a day. But avoid dessert wines and the mixed drinks. Beer is actually fine. The red wine is best. You can reward yourself with a dessert or other desirable food. But no more than once a week.
After following the above-mentioned do’s and dont’s, you can actually lose your body weight. Intermittent fasting works in the most efficient way if you follow these twelve tips.
Related Questions :
How long should you do intermittent fasting?
The method of 16/8. The 16/8 response involves fasting for 14–16 hours per day and limiting your eating window to 8–10 hours. You can eat two, three, or even four meals within the feeding window. Fitness expert Martin Berkhan created this strategy, which is already known as the Leangains technique.
Can I drink during intermittent fasting?
It’s suggested to drink diet drinks and only during your feeding intervals while intermittent fasting. Dry wine and hard spirits are healthier options.
How much weight can you lose in a month with intermittent fasting?
You can expect a healthy weight loss of 2 to 6 kgs each month, outstanding inch loss, and a boost in energy levels and brain function if you execute the fast correctly and ensure that it is aligned with your mind, body, and soul.
Is Intermittent Fasting Healthy?
Obesity-related conditions such as diabetes, sleep apnea, and some types of cancer can be reduced by losing weight and becoming physically active. Intermittent fasting appears to be equally as effective as any other sort of calorie-restricted diet for these diseases.
What does it mean when you say intermittent fasting?
Intermittent fasting (IF) is a type of eating that varies between fasting and eating periods. It doesn’t tell you which things to eat, but rather when you should eat them.
Does intermittent fasting decrease your metabolism?
No, it doesn’t. When you fast for a period of time, your metabolism speeds up, and nutrition uptake is optimized in the feeding phase.
16–8 IF is a lifestyle that can be maintained for a long period. However, be aware that there will be consequences: improved health, less body fat, higher energy, and increased mental focus… Take care…
You May Also Like: Walking Benefits: 15 Benefits of Daily Walking You Should Know About